<$BlogRSDUrl$>

9.10.2004

my tokyo jazz band playlist 

This is my favorite bit of dialogue in Lost in Translation:
Bob : I don't want to leave.
Charlotte : So don't. Stay here with me. We'll start a jazz band.
And one of my favorite details from the movie is the jazz band Sausalito (I think) which performs jazzy versions of "Scarborough Faire" and other hits in the Bob and Charlotte's hotel bar.

In honor of the movie, I compiled an iTunes playlist for when I have my mid-life crisis or third-life crisis (a little late for quarter-life crisis I'm afraid). It is the following:

1) After the Love is Gone by Earth, Wind and Fire. Knock 'em dead with a tear-jerker.
2) Rocket Man by some one-off jazz band that was on This American Life. Get people's attention with a hooky song that's fun to sing. Maybe with a subtle ska beat.
3) Single by Everything but the Girl. A mournful tune, to entice people to drink, either because they don't know the song or because they're really depressed after listening to this song.
4) Comfort of Strangers by Mike Figgis, featuring Skin on vocals. Wow the crowd with something breathy and sexy.
5)Lowdown by Boz Scaggs. Get 'em dancing with something "uptempo" (well, "up-tempo" for a hotel jazz band).
Squeeze's "Loving You Tonight" only fails to make the list because I don't have it on my computer. It's kind of a short set (only 23 minutes). By now, most of you will have finished your drink and left the bar, so it hardly matters.

Comments:
I'd go see you.

Bet
 
Post a Comment
(You don't have to sign in to comment. Or use the guestbook.)